The ifa (Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen) supports exhibitions abroad by contemporary German artists or artists with residence in Germany for at least 5 years. Funding can be applied for transport, artists’ travelling expenses and technical equipment if required for the presentation.
- contemporary German artists or artists with residence in Germany for at least 5 years
What we can do
Financial contributions are made for
- transport costs
- artists' travelling expenses
- technical equipment if required for the presentation of the exhibition
- High standards of artistic quality
- Invitation / inquiry by a non-commercial foreign exhibition institution (not a private gallery). Projects clearly situated in a non-commercial context.
- Considerable achievements in its own right by the foreign institution concerned.
- Submission of an application implies acceptance of the funding principles and requirements defined in this document.
- A fully completed application
- Pictorial material (e.g. catalogues or photographs) of current and / or former artistic works (illustrative material on CD or DVD cannot be considered, only for projects where it is necessary e. g. video work)
- 3 estimates each for travel expenses, for costs of transport and for lease costs of technical equipment
- CV of any artists funding is applied for
- Written invitation from the foreign institution
- Written information about the exhibition institution
Notice: The application material may be submitted in German or English.
Press and publicity work
An electronic version of the ifa logo will be mailed to the applicants. The logo must be highlighted on any media material (print media, internet etc.) relating to the funded project. Furthermore, the ifa logo has to be published in the exhibition rooms of the project clearly relating to the respective artwork.
Any funded project is published in our annual report and at our website; i.e. a regular mutual exchange of information between subsidized artists and ifa is therefore an important pillar of the entire funding procedure. In that context, it is important to send images of the funded projects with legal rights for publishing to ifa as early as possible.
- 31 January (spring committee) for projects in the current year
- 15 August (autumn committee) for projects in the following year
The date of the postmark applies
Only entirely completed applications submitted on schedule will be admitted to the meetings of the expert panel. Applications received after the filing deadline will not be considered. The material can be submitted either in German or English.
Documents at a Glance
- Online application form
- Detailed information on funding principles (PDF)
- International Daily Allowances and Accommodation Allowances (PDF)
- Important Information on the German Federal Travel Expenses Act / Leaflet invoicing (PDF)
- Evaluation/Report for Institutions (RTF)
- Evaluation/Report for Artists (RTF)
- ifa logo