German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is the largest funding organisation that supports the international exchange of students and scholars in Germany.
The DAAD promotes the international relations of German universities with foreign countries by means of
- exchange of students and scholars, as well as
- providing advice services to political decision-makers in the field of cultural-, educational- and development policy
- assistance in the establishment of effective higher education systems in developing countries.
By its currently more than 250 funding programmes the DAAD pursues five strategic goals:
- to encourage outstanding young students and academics from abroad to come to Germany for study and research visits
- to qualify young German researchers and professionals at the very best institutions of higher education around the world
- to promote the internationality and appeal of Germany's institutions of higher education
- to support German language, literature and cultural studies at foreign universities
- to assist developing countries in the southern hemisphere and reforming countries in the former Eastern Bloc to in the establishment of effective higher education systems.
The DAAD supports a network of agencies, lecturers and alumni-associations worldwide and provides information and advisory services on site.
To its tasks belongs
- granting scholarships to foreign and German students, interns, younger scientists and university lecturers with a view to promoting pre- and post-graduate education and research
- placing and supporting German university lecturers of academic subjects for long-term or short-term lecturing posts at foreign universities, including lecturers of German language, literature and German studies
- the realization and carrying out of the European Programme ERASMUS in the field of Higher Education as National Agency on behalf of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
- the Carlo-Schmid-Programme for coordinating internships in international organisations for qualified students and graduates
- giving information on opportunities for studying and doing research outside Germany, in publications, by letter or telephone or by organising and promotion fact-finding tours for foreign and German academics/scientists and groups of students
- looking after former scholars, in particular foreigners, through re-invitations and follow-up events.
By the Berlin Artists-in-Residence Programme the DAAD grants scholarships to international artists in the field of visual arts, literature, music, film and dance/performance.
For more detailed information please consult the respective DAAD-periodicals: