Church Office of the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD)
The Church Office is divided into four main departments:
- Administration, legal matters and finances
- Clerical action field, education
- Public Responsibility
- Ecumenical relations and ministry abroad
The department of ecumenical and foreign relations amongst others is responsible for:
- pastoral services to Germans and German-speaking people abroad (parishes outside Germany) as well as to tourists, holiday-makers and seamen
- analysis of basic ecumenical issues
- development of ecumenical educational and scholarship programmes
- human rights
- development policy
- foundations based in the Holy Land
EKD's pastoral services comprise the deployment of 140 parish priests – including 40 honorary priests in their retirement age. 68 parish priests are working in German-speaking Protestant communities in major cities and areas of tourism all over Europe. The German-speaking communities provide both, a religious home as well as a room of ecumenical openness encouraging people to form a community for a life in justice, peace and the integrity of creation in their responsibility as Christians.
The Department for Europe of the Evangelical Church in Germany operates on behalf of its subordinate federal and regional sections to further ecumenical contacts to Christian churches all over Europe of each denomination. It promotes ecumenical dialogue and provides a platform for discussion of theological issues.