Andreas Hykade: The Runt
A father and son are the protagonists in a story of authority – of obedience and submission. The little boy wants his tiny friend the rabbit to live to see a fine sunny day – putting him at odds with his father, who wants to keep the unwanted and skinny fifth rabbit out of his allotted "homeland" in a comfortable, well-provisioned pen. This is hard for the innocent boy to accept. A compromise is reached between the boy’s wishes and reality. The underdeveloped fifth rabbit is to be fed for a year – until it is fat enough for the family’s Sunday dinner. The journey down the dark cellar stairs with a sharp knife is postponed, but not avoided. With a pounding heart, the son agrees – for him, a year’s delay is like an eternity.
- Author, screenplay: Andreas Hykade
- Year: 2006
- Length: 10.00 min.
- Technique: Drawn animation
- Animation: Andreas Hykade, Ralf Bohde, Ruth Weber
- Drawings: Natalia Eck, Andreas Hykade, Frauke Stiegnitz, Helene Tragesser
- Music: Ulrich Reuter
- Narrator: Domenic Redl, Gerd Anthoff
- Directed by: Andreas Hykade
- Produced by: Thomas Meyer-Hermann, Studio FILM BILDER