Gottfried Mentor, Roland Petrizza: The Mafiachicken
A despised, thin chicken stands lost in thought in Dona Fugata’s yard. Surprised by a sudden slight movement off to the side, it manages, for the first time, to peck a fat worm out of the hard, dry earth of the yard. As soon as the unfriendly neighbouring chicken sees, it tears the despised, thin chicken's prize out of its beak, eating the juicy, nutritious titbit while it looks on timidly. Blood shoots into the poor little chicken’s comb. Furious, it sets out, saying defiantly: "I'm going to join the Mafia".
The chicken scampers off to a rundown quarter and asks where he can find the Mafia. But the shady characters on dark corners and damp, dirty steps leading to shady-looking restaurants just say: "We don't know anything – what’s this "Mafia" anyway?" or "No Mafia here – try the next town". Disappointed, the thin chicken returns to his parched yard. But now the unfriendly neighboring chickens keep their eyes down and cackle to each other softly: "it's been to join the Mafia". "Oh yes, it's been to join the Mafia." And – lo and behold – they all start scrabbling at the best spots in Dona Fugata’s scrap of land for the fattest worms so that they can stuff them into the errant thin chicken's beak.
(based on a short story by Luigi Malerba)
- Authors, screenplay: Gottfried Mentor, Roland Petrizza, Jan Lachauer based on a story by Luigi Malerba
- Year: 2007
- Length: 5.45 min.
- Technique: Stop motion and compositing
- Animation & design: Gottfried Mentor
- Camera & compositing: Roland Petrizza
- Music: Matthias Klein
- Narrator: Barbi Schiller, Claus-Peter Damitz, Patrick Schröder, Helge Sidow, Jochen Striebeck
- Directed by: Gottfried Mentor, Roland Petrizza
- Produced by: Thomas Höfler, Max Penk
- Production company: Baden-Württemberg Film Academy, Ludwigsburg