Two German Architectures 1949-1989

Business, Industry and Transport

For both Germans states, the switiching of industry from armament to consumer goods production formed the basis for every subsequent development ans was therefore trackled vigorously. The framework conditions were totally different on both sides of the German-German border: while the Federal Republic received massive support through the US Marshall Plan and benefited from the economic boom that resulted from the Korean War and the beginning of European integration, the GDR suffered from sustained large-scale dismantling of production machinery sent to the Soviet Union as part of massive reparations. it had to build up its own heavy industry as ther was practically none on GDR territory. Despite this situation, both states created architecturally remarkable new industrial plants which benefited from the relevant experiences of the 1920s and 1930s. West Germany also continued to build airports and motorways, and extensively promoted the use of private cars.

Business and Administration

Olivetti Germany headquarters, Frankfurt/M.; 1969 – 1972; architect: Egon Eiermann

Olivetti Germany headquarters, Frankfurt/M.

Frankfurt/M., 1969–1972
Architect: Egon Eiermann

Multi-storey car park and motel 'Haniel', Dusseldorf; 1949 – 1950; architect: Paul Schneider-Esleben

Multi-storey car park and motel 'Haniel', Dusseldorf

Dusseldorf, 1949–1950
Architect: Paul Schneider-Esleben