Portugal Foreign Cultural Policy
In Portugal the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and in part also the Ministries of Culture and Education, are responsible for foreign cultural relations. The Portuguese culture mediation institutes (Instituto Camões) are subject to the supervision of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They work closely together with the country's embassies and consulates; their financing comes from funding provided by the state. Besides the culture mediation institutes (Centros Culturais Portugueses – there are 20 throughout the world), there are also 20 language centres (Centros de Lingua Portuguesa), and six more of them are in development.
Portugal's most important representative abroad is the private foundation Fundação Caluste Gulbenkian, which concentrates on Portuguese cultural heritage in Africa, Iraq, Indonesia and other places.
Basic information on Portugal's foreign cultural policy
- Portugal. Country Profile / Council of Europe. ERICarts
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs / Ministério dos Negocios Estrangeiros
- Secretary of State of Culture
- Ministry of Science Technology and Higher Education / Ministerio da Educação, Ciência e Ensino Superior
cultural institutions in Portugal
- portuguese missions abroad