Society for the Promotion of Asian, African and Latin American Literature
The Society for the Promotion of African, Asian and Latin American Literature establishes contacts between book markets in Africa, Asia and Latin America and the German-speaking region. It informs about literary developments and trends in the three continents, selects the best examples of creative writing for translation into German.
The Society helps to establish and encourage a forum of debate about "Third World" literature in the German-speaking region. Therefore it
- arranges seminars and conferences with authors from Africa, Asia and Latin America
- assists in organising reading tours and
- advices in preparation of respective events.
With financial aid of the Federal Foreign Office and the Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia the Society runs a programme of grants for translation for works in fiction from Africa, Asia and Latin America.
The Society for the Promotion of African, Asian and Latin American Literature
- is a non-profit association. It is open for all publishers and authors from Africa, Asia and Latin America
- doesn’t take any rates or dues for its activities
- is supported by the churchly development service of the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD) and other organisations of the international cooperation
- acts jointly with the Frankfurt Book Fair and so it could use its worldwide information and contact network for literature mediation and promotion
The membership in the Society for promotion of literature is open for all interested persons.