IWF Wissen und Medien gGmbH
IWF Knowledge and Media was founded in 1956 as the "Innstitute for Scientific Film" non-profit Co. Ltd., Göttingen, by the States of the Federal republic of Germany. To produce, document and distribute audiovisual media for purposes of research and teaching in the public interest was its original task.
At the end of the 1990s a shift in its content focus occurred from a production- to a transfer-oriented media service provider for science. IWF supported teaching and research via acquisition, evaluation, editing and making available of audio-visual knowledge media and contributed to the enhancement of media competence via teaching, courses, events and consulting. IWF contributed to the improvement of media use in teaching and research and participated in media research having an application- or user-orientation.
Pursuant to a decision of the Federal/State Commission for Education Planning and Research Support (BLK) dating from October 2007, IWF Wissen und Media gGmbH is closing on December the 31st, 2010. Online availability of media is being maintained during the winding-up phase and the handover of materials worthy or preservation is in preparation and being carried out.