Evangelisches Missionswerk in Deutschland
As an umbrella organisation, the Protestant Mission Service in Germany (a registered association) coordinates missionary programmes and projects too large and complex for the member organisations or partners to manage alone. The EMW coordinates the Protestant church's partnerships with churches overseas.
The EMW is partnered, among others, by:
- global ecumenical organisations like the World Council of Churches; the Lutherischer Weltbund (Lutheran World Congress) and the Reformierter Weltbund (World Congress of Reformed Churches)
- continental, regional and national councils of churches and Christians, churches and church institutions, grass-roots citizens groups and popular organisations in the Third World.
Individual international tasks:
- advising and supporting projects of ecumenical partners
- developing co-operations within and among Protestant churches
- partnering the 'Evangelischer Entwicklungsdienst' (EED, Protestant Development Service) as the organisation responsible for certain areas of the Protestant churches' development aid programmes
- studying theological questions related to missionary work in the ecumenical context and publishing the findings in Germany
The EMW considers the dialogue on theological questions as essential and endeavours to draw benefit from the insights and experiences of church men and women of other Protestant denominations and to take up subjects which arise from the teamwork between members, partners and the EMW head office.
One of the important domestic tasks is public relations and communications. EMW publications (documentations, working materials, teaching models and various analyses) with theological, ecumenical and development-aid themes display the purposes of a church involved in the world to the German religious and secular public.
Magazin aus Mission und Ökumene. EineWelt (bimonthly)