The Institute for International Relations North-Rhine-Westphalia was founded as a result of a civic initiative established by a dedicated group of people. It was borne out of the trauma of the Second World War and sustained by a desire for understanding. These roots shape its goals up to this day: dedication to international understanding between peoples in the spirit of humanity and tolerance.
As a civil movement and institution involved in political education it strengthens democracy and civil society, promotes a deeper understanding for political and intercultural relations and supports individuals in forming their own political will by developing the ability to judge political events autonomously.
Priorities of the Institute's socio-political engagement are in the fields of:
- immigration and integration, democracy and remembrance, European and international politics
- events with an intercultural and political focus (discussion forums, conferences, exhibitions, nation-focussed seminars)
- specialist study and political information seminars abroad
- study and language trips worldwide
- High-School visits and work placements abroad
- international youth exchange programmes
- European Volontary Service
Associated to the Institute for International Relations North-Rhine-Westphalia is the Institut für politische Bildung (Institute for Political Education), a public institution of the federal State of North-Rhine-Westphalia.
Activities in detail:
- 28 bilateral 'circles' and associations with partner countries from Egypt to Hungary; fields of priority: Western, Northern, Central, Eastern and South-Eastern Europe, Middle East, Far East
- journeys & exchange: seminars, language courses, study trips, international internship programme, youth exchange and High-School students' exchange programmes
- events: lectures, exhibitions, workshops and discussion fora at home and abroad
- seminars: seminars for political education and on international politics; topics: immigration and integration, globalisation, democracy and remembrance, European and international politics
- Bridges (annual)
- Political and cultural Events (biannual)
- Study and language trips (biannual)