Association "Learning and Helping Overseas"
Arbeitskreis Lernen und Helfen in Übersee (Association "Learning and Helping Overseas" – AKLHÜ) is a public-benefit association of German organisations engaged in personnel cooperation and in development-policy educational work. It supports its member organisations' efforts in making sustainable improvements to the living conditions of peolple in disadvantaged countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe.
AKLHÜ is the point-of-contact for actors in development cooperation and for the general public interested in development policy work:
- It provides advice and support to persons interested making a social commitment by working abroad. Professionals and volunteers with previous work experience can obtain information on projects and programmes operated by the various organisations seconding personnel. The job-database accessible via AKLHÜ's homepage www.entwicklungsdienst.de provides information about current job opportunities in development organisations/initiatives as well as international volunteer development services.
- It serves as a forum to discuss issues concerning the assignment of volunteers and professionals to developing countries.
- It promotes knowledge sharing between member organisations and the exchange of experience on specialist topics and cultivate contacts with international development cooperation actors.
- AKLHÜ coordinates joint activities of members, acts as a strategic lobbying partner and provides support through public relations activities.
- Since its foundation in 1963, AKLHÜ has been promoted by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).