The European League of the Institutes of the Arts (ELIA)
The European League of Institutes of the Arts - ELIA is the primary independent network organisation for higher arts education. With over 300 members in 47 countries, it represents some 300,000 students in all art disciplines. ELIA advocates for the arts on the European level, creating new opportunities for its members and facilitating the exchange of best practices.
The principle mission of ELIA is to represent Higher Arts Education and to be an influential voice and advocate in promoting the interests of its members. In placing emphasis on the value of arts education and artistic research, ELIA is dedicated to enhance the conditions in which Higher Arts Education can flourish, nationally and internationally.
ELIA Main Objectives:
- strengthen the position and influence of the arts and higher arts education at regional, national, European and international levels
- support the establishing and maintaining of adequate social and political conditions for the free development of education in the arts and the specific needs of education in the arts and of art production
- promote the arts as a central aspect of society and as a fundamental contribution to cultural and economic development
- encourage cultural diversity and foster communication between European and non-European cultures as part of a global cultural society
Activities and Events:
Together with its member institutions, ELIA initiates conferences, symposia, publications and research projects, targeting all sectors of the higher arts education community - artists, teachers, leaders, managers and students - as well as the wider public.
Highlights of these events include:
- The ELIA Biennial Conference - a world-class event profiling current developments in higher arts education and facilitating dialogue
- The Teachers’Academy - an international platform for ideas and practices for teachers in art schools in Europe and beyond
- The Leadership Symposium - a meeting of selected leaders and key decision makers representing a diverse set of arts and design institutions throughout the world
NE©XT Accelerator, an ongoing project supports emerging artists to initiate successful international careers, improving their capacity to make a living from their artistic production.
For all the current events and projects visit the Activities page.
The ELIA newsletter (monthly)