The Institute Français is subordinated to the minister for foreign and European matters in France and responsible for the French foreign cultural politics. It works on a French-cultural network which joins 215 institutes and about 1,000 cultural associations of France in the world with each other.
Its duties are:
- propagation of French culture and language
- exchange and cooperation in the field literature, music, dance and theatre, visual arts, film and media
- support of the French film
- promotion of higher education cooperation with other countries
- presentation of the French intellectual creations abroad
- initiation of development and partnership projects