European Information Network on International Relations and Area Studies (EINIRAS)
The European Information Network on International Relations and Area Studies is an association of research institutions dealing with information and documentation on international relations in research and political practice.
EINIRAS’s long-term objective is to establish a common European database on international relations and area studies. Its short-term objectives include the expansion of practical cooperation and the exchange of information, bibliographical data and publications.
The association's various projects, which are managed by several working groups, include common documentary tools (a multi-lingual thesaurus, regional and subject classifications, rules for proper names and categorical schema), a regime for the construction of a bibliographical and factual database, and models for technical infrastructure as well as for operational organisation.
- to expand the range of information provided to people working in government, research and academia, the media, as well as the wider public
- to employ the specific competencies of European institutes in order to achieve improved synergies between EINIRAS members
- to improve the availability and reputation of European research results on the international information market
- to ensure the international competitiveness of European specialised information capacities
EINIRAS holds an annual conference at one of its member institutes, as well as task group working meetings for different themes:
- The task group on the Euro Thesaurus is charged with developing, maintaining and deploying the European Thesaurus on International Relations and Area Studies.
- The task group on ICT monitors new developments in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and brings these to the attention of EINIRAS members through annual conference presentations.
- The task group on Shared Indexing is responsible for developing common metadata and indexing standards for use by EINIRAS members.
- The task group on Funding is tasked with securing funding for EINIRAS projects and activities.